It took a week, but it's happened.
I thought I would be alright because I'm use to being alone. Dad works, Mom works, and I work. She really we only see each other in the evenings, sometimes not at all. I knew I would miss lunch watching Supernatural with Dad. And I would miss Mom calling me after she made it to work just to tell me Good Morning. But I figured I would be able to cope with not having those.
Then Sunday came. Sunday was always our day to be together as a family. No one had to work. We were all there. Dad actually had me take an inventory of all our Disney movies and make a schedule. We brought back ABC Disney. We had watched it every Sunday when I was little, and now we got to watch it every Sunday as a family again.
All day Sunday we would do things together. Take naps in the living room. Talk in the kitchen while we made dinner. Watch our Disney show in the evenings. This is what finally made me homesick. I want to be with my family so much right now. But I'm in sitting in my apartment, alone. Lisa moved out. Morgan is camping. Catherine is with her fiance. And Megan is at her sister's. I feel so alone.
My Bishop asked us a question in Sacrament meeting today. "What matters the most?" I instantly thought, "My family." But of course that isn't what the bishop was referring to. The gospel is what matters most. But I still thought, "My family is what is the most important thing to me." I started wondering... If I had not been born in the church, I really don't think I would have been able to leave my family to join.
Not a very good thought, I know. But then I realized, if I hadn't been born in the church, my family probably wouldn't be what it is now. That's when I decided the question "What matters the most?" was irrelevant to me. There are two things that matter the most to me. My family and the gospel. Without the gospel, I don't know if I would be as close to my family as I am now. But without my family, I would not have a Celestial goal. How could I possibly strive towards the Celestial Kingdom if I didn't have my family to share it with?
I love my family. I miss them so much. And right now, I am terribly homesick.
2 comments:
just another trial in your life that will make you stronger.but thank you for your testimony I needed it-kinda helped me realize or think of what's important to me.
Keep your chin up Eeka
<3
What you forgot to mention was the, "But I am Jessica Bradford, and I'm tougher than nails (which I am going to use to nail my room-mates' feet to the floor next Sunday for Sunday dinner."
Okay, maybe that might give them the wrong impression, but seriously, they should stay for the weekends (it's the number one DO in an article I read for new college students. "DO stay on the weekends. Resist the urge to go to your parents' or family's places."
So far, only YOU followed the article's advice, which is a problem. Your roommates need to realize that they need to be like family to you. The least they could do is to invite you. (Maybe you could hint at that?)
Stay strong! (As if I needed to say it!)
You've got your priorities straight. That's for sure. What's the point of a family without the gospel when friends can take care of you, and what's the point of the gospel without the family? They are intertwined. Family is the basic unit of the gospel. Heavenly Father and us.
Just realize that your home here in Blanding is still here for you when you need it, and your family is here for you, whether you need them or not. :)
Post a Comment