Wednesday, February 18, 2009

When it's good to be an Outcast

We were in the foyer. He was sitting on the large carpeted steps along with the other three girls. I was standing near him. I felt just a little awkward. We were from two different towns and this was his group of friends. I only knew him and one the the girls. I felt like an intruder to the others.
The bell rang, letting school out and the halls began to fill with students. I didn't notice he was looking at me as I watched people join up with friends, my mind wandering.
Suddenly I realized that he had dropped conversation and was focused on me. I turned my attention to him. Curiosity played across his face.
"You can sit down, ya know." He indicated the seat next to him. Nice. I looked at the spot, but made no move to sit down. His expression changed slightly.
"Or are you hinting that you want to leave?"
He's good.
"No. I just need to talk to one of my friends. I'll be back."
"Ok," he seemed hesitant as I walked away. I felt reluctant to leave him, but I was already out of his sight.

I didn't find her. She had already left the school. So I returned to the foyer, knowing he would still be there. I walked through the doors and stopped short. He was still there, but the others from his school had joined him. He was surrounded by about fifteen people I didn't know. I was a stranger here.
As much as I was drawn to him, I couldn't bring myself to walk among them. I felt my expression twist into unwilling surrender. My feet started moving as I slowly backed away. But he had already seen me. His eyes caught mine. Blue on blue. His expression was inquisitive, confused.
I stopped again, hesitating. His eyes were pleading. I forced myself forward, moving even slower than before. He watched me curiously for a moment, then he stood and closed the distance between us.
"What was that about?" He stood close to me. I peered around him at the people he had been sitting with.
"I feel like an outcast," I admitted, looking up at him. He looked over his shoulder at his friends, and thought for a moment.
"Let's go." He looked back down at me as he walked the way I had come. I glanced at his friends one more time, then turned and followed him.

3 comments:

Mike said...

wow...I wish something like that could happen to me. Only from the guys point of view....or maybe I just want to be loved...

Chris said...

Want me to beat him up?

Jessica said...

Uh... I'd rather you didn't... :)