Monday, February 9, 2009

Friends for Life

Eight months ago he left. Six months he went even further away. And I've missed him more than anything. I get to talk to him a little bit once a week. But it's not the same. We were so close. I wasn't just a tag-a-long to him; I was his friend. We were really good friends. He'd always help me out when I needed it. And he'd always turn to me when he needed someone to talk to. He'd ask my opinions, and he honestly valued them. If I disapproved of anything, he'd take it into account. He'd let me wallow in self-pity, then help me solve my problems. He understood so much of what others didn't.

We sang duets a lot. We never really performed, it was just for fun. (Except one time Mrs. J had us sing a duet for her choir class). We'd sing when we were home alone and bored, or doing chores, or we'd karaoke. Our voices sounded so cool together. I loved the contrast of high and low. Sometimes I would play the piano, like Phantom of the Opera or Lord of the Rings. And we'd sing. That was a blast. He had such a good Phantom voice.

He'd always encourage me in anything I did. And he'd be excited for me when I was excited. His senior year, I went to every single one of his football games, home and away. He loved that. I was always waiting for him outside the locker room. He'd give me a hug and we'd instantly start talking about the game.

Of course, we fought a lot, too. But that only made it better. After we'd have our differences, we'd be even better friends. He liked having me around. He told me once when we were younger that if I ever got kidnapped, he'd risk his life to save me, then beat the heck out of the people who took me. The thing is, he was serious. And he really has saved my life many times. I've actually lost count. It's a wonder I haven't somehow died in the eight months that he's been gone. He truly did care about me, and our friends could see that.

Now Beau's in Mexico. And man do I miss him! I miss all my brothers. They're all gone and now I'm home alone. That's part of life. It sad part, but a part. I'm excited that he is in Mexico at the same time, though. He's having a blast down there. And actually, not his companion, but one of the missionaries he lives with wrote me a letter. And I'm writing him back :) That made Beau happy. I guess he doesn't really have anyone to write to.

But this is my blog for Beau. Even though he'll probably never read it, and if he does it won't be for another year and a half. Here's to all my great brothers! Love you guys!!

2 comments:

Trent said...

I recently watched as my daughter held my index fingers -- one in each hand -- and used them to balance as she "walked." It was so strange. It was a repeat of an experience from 16 or 17 years ago, an experience that had not been repeated until that moment. A plethora of memories flooded into my mind. Little Jessica. Lily was even wearing the same little pink pants that Little Jessica used to wear.

Little Jessica used to love to hold my finger. She had quite a grip. I remember the pink dress that Mom made for Little Jessica. I remember when Little Jessica got her hair cut to her shoulders and she suddenly looked so much older. I remember how much Little Jessica used to love to pretend like she was my dog, Daisy, and how much she used to get piggy-back rides and ride me like a horse. I remember how Little Jessica would sing, "Oh, livin' on a prayer!" whenever I sang the preceding lyrics.

I know this is Beau's blog, but it made me miss you, too. Here's to Little Jessica!!

Jessica said...

I remember singing that song with you, too. That was one of my favorites. I also love how you "taught" me how to swing dance (but really you would just do cool lifts and twirls with me).
Thanks for being such a great brother.