Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dreams and Thinking

I have just returned from a very long trip. Too long. It was only to Salt Lake, but that was too far this time. We traveled with two babies in the back seat. We sat through an extremely long police academy graduation, then came home. Too much sitting. Not enough sleep. Though I am glad I went.

I mostly listened to my ipod and tried to sleep, though I couldn't quite get to that point. I became just unconscious enough to dream while still being aware of what was going on around me. Dream and think. The dreams I could have done without. The last dream I had before this trip, I was held up in an abandoned house with Beau and Chris. It was us against... I don't know who it was. We were rebelling against someone and they sent their men out to "take care of us." So it was just the three of us with our guns and an advantage of higher ground. I would rather have that as my most recent dream than the dreams I had on this trip.

In thinking, it was mostly about my book. Trying to work out some of the minor details. How exactly do I make some of the characters die? Do I want to add this character or not? Will this character become a serious danger before her betrayal? Does she get some final words with her brother before he dies, or is it just over? Little things like that. I thought about some other things, too. But I tried to stay focused on my book.

Now I'm home, dead tired, about to go to bed. But now I've started thinking about my own character. Trying to figure out some of the minor details. I've started to notice a pattern in my life. An interesting pattern. And I kind of wonder how it developed. I know it's mostly me, but parts of it aren't, and that's what makes it so intriguing. I'm just a character out of a book. And I'm the one writing it.

No comments: