Saturday, July 19, 2008

So Lost

Sometimes when I think about you
I wonder
Why you still love me when I am so lost.
So many times I slip and fall
But you always come back and pick me up.
Sometimes you have to drag me along
For a while
Before I'll get back up on my feet
But you never let go and just leave.
I can be frustrating in my curiosity
And doubt
But if you're irritated, you hide it well.
With me you use patience and understanding
The way you would deal with a child.
You handle me gently as though
I were glass
Careful to leave no bruise or break.
You watch me tenderly, seeing the things
Others don't.
The expression in your eyes shows the pain
Because you can see into my soul.
I push you away and tell you to leave
I try to hurt you to get you to go
But you stand your ground and stay
With me
Letting me hit you as much as I need.
Then at the end of the day
When I lay broken in the street
You lovingly lift me in your arms
You carry me home and tuck me in bed.
You stay by my side as I drift
Into sleep.
When I toss and turn from my nightmares
And wake up screaming in the night
You stroke my hair and calm me
Saying, "Hush now, darling.
Go back to sleep. The morning will
Quickly come.
I'll stay here with you, by your side.
You need your rest. I love you."
"I love you." You say
And it makes me wonder
How can you love me so deeply
When I have become so lost?

No comments: