Sunday, August 3, 2008

Writing the Night

So honestly, I don't know what to write. I just don't want to go to bed. Because if I leave this computer it means I have to go get my lesson ready for tomorrow. And after I get the lesson ready, I'll have to go to sleep. To some people sleep is the most wonderful thing in the world. They'd rather sleep than do anything else and they're always so excited to finally crawl into bed at the end of the day. Not me. I don't completely hate sleep, but you could be doing so many other things if you didn't have to have sleep. Seriously, that's eight hours (ok, eight for most people) that you could be getting things done.

Now, I'm not one of those people who is always worried about getting everything done. Oh no. That's not me. I am one of the worst procrastinators ever. But what I mean is, you could get things done so that during the day you can be free to do things with your friends or family. Does that make sense?

So really, I'm usually reluctant to go to bed, and sleeping during the day is something I usually try to avoid (unless I have a long shift at the pool). Every once in a while I'll be tired enough that I just completely crash. Like the other day, I came home from a ten hour shift at the pool, didn't even make it up the stairs. I was out on the staircase. And my dad didn't even wake me up. He just let me sleep there for about an hour until I finally woke up. That was a slightly painful rousing.

Also, if you go to sleep, it means you have to wake up. Now, I'm not saying I hate mornings. Drill has made me a morning person. I love mornings, actually. I just hate waking up, at any time really. I'm a morning person, a night person, and a day person. It's just nature doesn't want me be all three. I love the night as well; the middle of the night when nobody else is awake and the darkness is yours. I love staying up late, and I like waking up early in the morning, too. Don't ask me why. So usually during the school year I run off of about five hours of sleep or less a night. Because I go to be late, I'll wake up in the middle of the night (sometimes I'll do homework during this time), and then I wake up early (5 am) in the morning to go to drill.

Now sometimes I do love sleep. Like when I get back from a long trip, or I've been working for a long time, just things that wear me out. Then I will gladly go to bed. But under normal circumstances, I would rather stay up than sleep. And this really doesn't bode well with my parents.... or Dallas either. They would all much rather want me sleeping. And I know I should. I need to get my rest to stay in good health and keep a sharp mind (well, as sharp as my mind can get). So maybe someday I'll start sleeping like a normal person with eight hours of rest a night; going to bed at ten and waking up at six, and trying to sleep the whole night through. But that someday will not be any time soon. Not while I'm still doing drill at least. So for all you sleepers, sweet dreams. For now, I'll just keep writing the night.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I am a night person and a morning person too! I used to just be a morning person, but since moving to Blanding I don't sleep well and found myself staying up later and later, enjoying the quiet of the night. ...At the same time, I love getting up early and getting a start on my day :).