Of course. I finally changed my blog to match summer only to realize that it will have to change again soon. But it's done, for now. And that's a small accomplishment in a way, I suppose.
While I was looking for a new background, I was trying to think of what I would even write about. I'm kind of in a funk right now and I think my brain already went to bed. So, being the procrastinator that I am, I hopped on Facebook to see the kind of funk other people are in. I guess like misery, funk loves company. But instead, I was met by a very profound quote posted by my cousin:
"A person either hates losing enough to change
or he hates changing enough to lose."
-Orrin Woodward
Honestly, I have no idea who Orrin Woodward is. And I'm hoping that doesn't make me look silly. But I really liked this quote.
I played tennis all through high school and I absolutely loved it. When I was a Junior, I had the chance to go to Region. I lost. And like the emotional teenage girl I was, I threw a fit and got mad at myself, chiding myself for losing and scolding myself because I knew I could do better. I acted like a brat. And about twenty minutes later I was ashamed of myself. I knew I could have done better. I knew I acted like a child. I knew I couldn't change the past, but I knew I could change myself. So I did.
I became more committed, practicing on my own and doing my best to not miss any practices. I worked harder, increasing my chances of landing the first serve and controlling my backhands. I focused more, not worrying about who was watching me or what the other players' fans were yelling. And I strived for better self-control, over my physical abilities, my emotions, and my attitude. I changed myself.
The next year I had the chance to go to Region again. Many of the players were incredible opponents. But I made my way up the bracket line and claimed my place to go to State. I was on fire. At State, the games were postponed a few hours because of rain. Eventually we ended up playing on indoor courts. And I lost. But I didn't throw a fit. I didn't chide myself. I was happy. I had never played on an indoor court, but I gave it my best shot. I had made it to State. I had improved my game, my attitude, and myself. I was a better person than who I had been the year before. And that's what really counted. Game. Set. Match.


2 comments:
Wow. This is a great post. So glad you shared it with us.
That is a good quote. Thanks Jess! (Ask Dad who Orrin Woodward is.)
Love ya!
Post a Comment