Lately at work I've been doing my job mostly by myself. Our cleaning crew use to have 14 people, and now we're down to 4. Because of this we don't work in pairs very often anymore. This means four hours of isolation at four o' clock in the morning. If it weren't for my music, I would go crazy.
When I was working with Jenny (she transferred to a later shift), I would sometimes sing out loud. She told me that she missed my singing after her transfer. That made me happy. Anyway, I continue to sing out loud at work. It's one of those random things that help to keep me sane at work.
The other day at work, everyone else clocked out at 8:00, but I was staying until 10:00. People had already come into the building for their classes, but the halls remained fairly empty. I was singing along with my ipod while I pushed a mop bucket down the hall. An older lady turned the corner and started smiling. It wasn't a laughing smile, just a happy smile. She had already heard my singing and I figured it wouldn't embarrass me anymore to keep at it. So I sang until I was within talking distance of her. Before I could wish her a good morning she told me, "You just made my day. Thank you so much." And she continued smiling as she walked down the hall. Good music: keeping people happy, and sane.
*This is just a side note on a few of my favorite songs. Lately I've been enjoying Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas and Leave Out All The Rest by Linkin Park (thanks for that one, Jenny). But my absolute, unchanging favorite song that I will never skip over is If Everyone Cared by Nickelback. That was the song I was singing when I passed the lady in the hall. Nothing can beat good music.
1 comment:
Mussica
Post a Comment